Sunday, February 23, 2014

New techniques are scaary!






So I have been viciously absorbing digital painting techniques specifically related to workflow. I felt as though the way I was doing things before wasn't allowing me to working according to my strengths as an artist.  This entry is meant to share my celebration with all.... 6 people that actually read my blog.

Well, I have finally done it! I have figured out a way to preserve the spirit of a sketch through the digital painting process. Now I realize this quick monster painting doesn't look all that special, but he is the result of weeks of deciphering tutorials, 2 hours of drawing, and about an hour of painting.

Whats so special you might be wondering? Well, thanks to one of my new favorite artists, Peter Mohrbacher, I figured out how to completely eliminate all the white from a drawing while still preserving a full range of values created by my pencil. Selecting out the white is easy if all your working with is black lines, but this painting was started as a full value pencil drawing. The process is several steps and seems complicated at first but only takes a few seconds once you figure it out. Now I longer have to wrestle with photoshop because of the various drawbacks of a multiply layer.

The second thing that is new is coloring via gradient map on a soft or hard light blending mode. I never thought of it before but it gives a nice start to a palette with limited colors.

Now that the technical limitation of photoshop have been conquered, I can finally make something cool in digital paint.... once i actually learn how to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment